Fluoride is the most effective agent available to help prevent tooth decay. It is a mineral that is naturally present in varying amounts in almost all foods and water supplies. The benefits of fluoride have been well known for over 50 years and are supported by many health and professional organizations.
Although most of us receive fluoride from food and water, sometimes it is not enough to help prevent decay. We may sometimes recommend the use of home and/or professional fluoride treatments for the following reasons:
- You have deep pits and fissures on the chewing surfaces of teeth.
- You have exposed and sensitive root surfaces.
- You have fair to poor oral hygiene habits.
- You frequently intake sugar and carbohydrates.
- You do not have adequate exposure to fluoride.
- You have inadequate saliva flow due to medical conditions, medical treatments, or medications.
- You have a recent history of tooth/dental decay.